Throughout the month of June, Grand Master Galloway calls upon all California Masons to recognize the enduring legacy of the Masonic Homes of California. Through the vision of our forefathers and the continuing dedication of brothers today, every day we bring needed relief to our brethren and their families in every corner of the Golden State – and beyond.
The first Masonic Homes of California residential community was built in 1898 to support widows and orphans. This self-sufficient farm was completely funded by generous donations from about 16,000 brothers. Eleven years later, the fraternity opened a second home in Covina – outside of Los Angeles. Watch a video about the spirit of Masonic charity that led to the creation of the Masonic Homes, and learn more about the services they provide today.
Connect with the Homes
Nurturing a strong relationship with the Masonic Homes shows your lodge’s commitment to the Masonic tenet of relief, while helping you gain valuable knowledge about the services available to your members. Here are some tips for building your connection to the Masonic Homes:
- Tour the campuses in Union City and Covina, or sign up to volunteer.
- Visit on-campus lodges for a degree or stated meeting – the unique Outdoor Degree Site in Union City is a must-see.
- Attend Masonic family events like Covina SummerFest and Union City HarvestFest. (RSVP for SummerFest.)
- Join the Lodge Outreach Program – a collaboration between Masonic Outreach Services and volunteers at Masonic lodges statewide.
- Contact Masonic Outreach Services to request an informational presentation about Masonic Homes resources and services at your lodge.
- Explore masonichome.org for information, news, and lodge resources.
- Follow @MasonicHomesofCA on Facebook.
- Connect with elder members or widows from your lodge who are residents of the Masonic Homes, and take time to visit with them.
The Masonic Homes of California brings critical relief to thousands of Masonic Families in need each year. But this fraternal legacy cannot continue without generous gifts from brothers, family members, and friends. Through the “Let’s Write the Future” campaign – the biggest fundraising campaign in years, the California Masonic Foundation is working to bring critical advanced care to both Masonic Homes campuses, ensuring that all brethren and their wives or widows will be supported in their hour of greatest need. Please give generously.
Share this story with your lodge! All masonichome.org articles may be repurposed by any Masonic publication with credit to the Grand Lodge of California and the author. Print this article and post it at lodge; include it in your Trestleboard or website; email it to members; or use the buttons at the top of this page to share it on Facebook or Twitter.