Even for devoted parents, it is sometimes difficult to know when a child or teen is struggling with challenges that make it difficult for them to achieve social and academic success. The Masonic Center for Youth and Families (MCYAF) offers various areas of assessment to help ensure that your child is receiving the support they need.
At our headquarters in Covina (Southern California) or San Francisco (Northern California), professional, licensed specialists will work with your family to determine what areas need to be assessed, based on your child’s needs or your questions regarding your child’s challenges. All six types of MCYAF assessments include an individualized written report with recommendations. Assessment types include:
- General cognitive functioning assessments evaluate the five core areas that comprise intellectual ability: spoken and internal reasoning, visual-spatial skills, memory, and processing speed.
- Neuropsychological assessments identify the underlying neurodevelopmental factors that play a part in learning and processing, including:
Processing spoken and written language
Sensory motor functions
Memorization and recollection skills
Executive functioning: planning, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Emotional/psychological assessments review personal patterns related to worldview, self-perception and self-esteem, coping style, social and interpersonal relationships, and motivation. They help to identify personality traits and behavioral patterns that may help or hinder personal growth, including unconscious processes. They can reveal potential clinical symptoms (e.g., depression, anxiety) that may require attention.
- Academic assessments evaluate educational achievement in the areas of reading, oral/written expression, and math to determine if a client is functioning according to their potential. These evaluations help identify learning disabilities and/or need for academic accommodations, as well as strength and weakness areas as they pertain to educational and career planning.
- Career assessments identify potential avenues for careers and higher education based on a client’s personality traits, strengths, and interests. They are typically completed along with an academic assessment.
*Available in Covina only.
- Early developmental assessments review cognitive development and social-emotional relatedness for early intervention prevention.
* Available in San Francisco only.
All services are provided on a sliding scale. Every potential client is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
To learn more or to schedule an evaluation with one a member of our licensed, professional staff, call us in Covina at (626) 251-2300 or in San Francisco at (415) 929-3000. You may also reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website: mcyaf.org.